Resources & Learning Opportunities
PUBLICATIONS AND ON-LINE RESOURCES
- The for gardeners and restoration practitioners section of this website is full of information about choosing, buying, propagating and caring for native plants. You can also download or order several comprehensive publications.
- This table lists native plants (PDF 575 KB) that are most often available from suppliers in the Victoria area. It also includes information about preferred growing conditions and height range for each species. You can also download a photo guide (PDF 1.61 MB) for some of the species on the list.
- Visit the Natural Gardening section of the Capital Regional District website for more plant lists.
- Habitat Acquisition Trust also has a great Gardening With Native Plants pamphlet.
- Perhaps not a surprise, the Victoria Native Plant Study Group website has an informative native plant section.
- The Capital Regional District offers free native plant gardening workshops every fall and winter. Click here for the current schedule and registration information.
- The Horticulture Centre of the Pacific frequently offers workshops for native plant gardeners and the Master Gardener Certificate Program includes a native plant training module.
- The Victoria Native Plant Study Group has guest speakers at their monthly meetings and often have events such as field trips and plant identification workshops.
- In addition to sustainable gardening workshops, the Compost Education Centre offers information and adult workshops of particular interest to native plant gardeners.
- Camosun College conducts Continuing Education Courses, such as Landscape Design Fundamentals.
- If you’re working on a more extensive restoration project, you may want to consider the University of Victoria Restoration of Natural Systems program.