Privacy & Donor Policy
Our Commitment to Privacy
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is any information about you as an identifiable individual and includes information with respect to your name, address, age, gender, marital status, employment, and donation history. Personal information does not include your workplace contact information.
Why GOERT Gathers Personal Information
GOERT gathers, obtains and uses personal information for two main reasons:
- To provide receipts and other information about our work to people who donate to or otherwise support GOERT. This is necessary to keep our supporters informed and updated on our work, as well as to provide supporters with the benefit of receipts.
- To solicit donations and support for our work. This is necessary to ensure that we can continue to do our important Garry oak ecosystems conservation work.
Important Principles for Your Protection
- Using Personal Information — Personal information will be used only to solicit support for our work and to provide receipts and information about our work. We will limit the personal information we collect to what we need for those purposes. When your personal information is no longer needed or required, we will delete it from our electronic database.
- Disclosing Personal Information — We will not sell, give, or trade your personal information to other persons or organizations.
- Protecting Personal Information — GOERT takes the issue of protecting your personal information very seriously. Personal information regarding donors and supporters is kept in an electronic database with controlled access limited to authorized staff. We do not collect or store credit card information.
- Access to Your Personal Information — You may request that GOERT provide you with a copy of your personal information, as well as information regarding how we have used that personal information. We will make every effort to respond to your request in a timely manner. You can withdraw your name from our mailing list at any time by contacting GOERT.
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. To ensure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the Garry Oak Ecosystems Recovery Team Society, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of GOERT’s mission, of the way we intend to use donated resources and of our capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on GOERT’s Board of Directors, and to expect the Board to exercise prudent judgement in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to GOERT’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition and to remain anonymous if they wish to be so.
- To be assured that information about their donation is handled with respect and confidentiality.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing GOERT’s interest to the donor will be professional.
- To request the removal of their names from any or all mailing lists at any time.
- To inquire on the intention and distribution of information collected.
- To have the assurance that all personal and financial data collected is secure.
- To inquire on, edit, and/or delete all personal and financial data collected at any time.
What if you have questions regarding how GOERT manages your information?
If you have questions or concerns regarding how GOERT is managing or using your personal information, please contact us. We will investigate and respond to your concerns in a timely manner.