Conservation Covenants & Land Donation
- BC Assessment Authority
- Canadian Wildlife Service Ecological Gifts website
- Hillyer, A. and J. Atkins. 2000. Greening Our Title: A Guide to Best Practices for Conservation Covenants. West Coast Environmental Law. Available from www.wcel.org.
- Hillyer, A. and J. Atkins. 1994. Here Today, Here Tomorrow: Legal Tools for the Voluntary Protection of Private Land in British Columbia. West Coast Environmental Law Research Foundation. Available from www.wcel.org.
- Layard, N. 2002. Green Legacies: A Donor’s Guide for B.C. Habitat Conservation Trust Fund. Available from www.greenlegacies.ca.
- Land Trust Alliance of British Columbia. 2006. An Introduction to Conservation Covenants: A Guide for Developers and Planning Departments. Available from www.landtrustalliance.bc.ca/research.html.
- Land Trust Alliance of British Columbia. 2006. Property Assessments of Conservation Lands: A Guide for Land Trusts and Conservation Land Owners. Available from www.landtrustalliance.bc.ca/research.html.
Tools for Conserving Garry Oak Areas During Land Development
- B.C. Ministry of Environment. 2006. Develop with Care: Environmental Guidelines for Urban and Rural Land Development in British Columbia. Available from www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/BMP/bmpintro.html.
- Curran, D. 2003. Smart Bylaws Guide. West Coast Environmental Law. Available from www.wcel.org.
- Garry Oak Ecosystems Recovery Team and Parks Canada. 2007. The Garry Oak Gardener’s Handbook: Your Guide to Establishing, Restoring and Caring for Garry Oak Habitat.
- Habitat Acquisition Trust. 2004. The HAT Manual: Protecting Natural Areas in the Capital Region. Available from www.hat.bc.ca.
- Islands Trust Natural Areas Protection Tax Exemption Program. Information on Islands Trust Fund website www.islandstrustfund.bc.ca.
- Lanarc Consultants Ltd. 1997. Stewardship Bylaws: A Guide for Local Governments. Available from www.stewardshipcentre.bc.ca.
- Smart Growth BC. 2001. The Smart Growth Toolkit. Available from www.smartgrowth.bc.ca.
Private Land Stewardship
- Penn, B. 1996. Stewardship Options for Private Land Owners in British Columbia. B.C. Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks. Available from www.stewardshipcentre.bc.ca.
- B.C. Ministry of Environment. Terms of Reference for Bio-inventory and Site Evaluation. Available from www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/BMP/bmpintro.html.
- Conservation Data Centre (B.C. Ministry of Environment) www.env.gov.bc.ca/cdc/.
- Garry Oak Ecosystems Recovery Team. Current and historical maps of Garry oak distribution.
- Sensitive Ecosystems Inventory (Environment Canada and B.C. Ministry of Environment) for East Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands. Available from www.env.gov.bc.ca/sei/van_gulf/index.html
- Community Mapping Network. There are several web-based atlases that include inventory data. For information, see www.shim.bc.ca
- The Garry Oak Ecosystems Recovery Team can provide information on Garry oak sites of high conservation value.
- Coastal Invasive Plant Committee website
- Garry Oak Ecosystems Recovery Team. 2003. Invasive Species in Garry Oak and Associated Ecosystems in British Columbia. Includes blackberry (Himalayan and evergreen), daphne, eastern grey squirrel, English hawthorn, English ivy, gorse, orchard grass, Scotch broom, and other invasive plants and animals.
- Global Invasive Species Database
- Invasive Plant Council of British Columbia
- Arendt, Randall. 1996. Conservation Design for Subdivisions: A Practical Guide to Creating Open Space Networks. Available from www.greenerprospects.com/products.html.
- Arendt, Randall. 1999. Growing Greener: Putting Conservation into Local Plans and Ordinances. Available from www.greenerprospects.com/products.html.
- McHarg, Ian. 1992. Design with Nature. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. Available from www.wiley.com.
- Rocky Mountain Institute. 1998. Green development: Integrating Ecology and Real Estate. Available from www.rmi.org.
Benefits of Conserving Trees & Natural Areas
- American Forests. 1998. Regional Ecosystem Analysis Puget Sound Metropolitan Area: Calculating the Value of Nature. American Forests, Washington, D.C. July 1998.
- Center for Urban Forest Research. 2003. City of San Francisco, California Street Tree Resource Analysis. USDA Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station, Center for Urban Forest Research, CA. Available from www.fs.fed.us/psw/programs/cufr/.
- Curran, D. 2001. Economic Benefits of Natural Greenspace Protection. Smart Growth BC and the POLIS Project on Ecological Governance. Available from www.smartgrowth.bc.ca.
- Harris, R., J. Clark, and N. Matheny. 1999. Arboriculture: Integrated Management of Lands. 3rd edition. Prentice-Hall, Inc. N.J. Available from www.fs.fed.us/psw/programs/cufr/
- International Society of Arboriculture website Trees are Good, Olewiler, N. 2004. The Value of Natural Capital in the Settled Areas of Canada. Ducks Unlimited and the Nature Conservancy of Canada. Available from www.ducks.ca
- Quayle, M. and S. Hamilton. 1999. Corridors of Green and Gold: Impact of Riparian Suburban Greenways on Property Values. Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
- Wolf, K. 2004. Trees on Main Street: Influences on Retail and Shopping Behavior. University of Washington. More information…
This content in this section was also published in a 2007 collection, which includes references and photographs, available as a PDF: Protecting Garry Oak Areas During Land Development (2007)